Thursday, April 5, 2012

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

They laugh together, compete together, pray together.
They love just being together, and through this, you see their true brotherhood.
Though as a group, one might find them to be a little over the top, no one can question their true love for one another.
 AMDG is one of the most well known and outspoken households on campus, and though they get a bad rep sometimes, they are truly just men trying to grow closer to God.
I myself am a Brother of the Eternal Song, but I am well aware of the Brotherhood these men have with one another. Coming from an extremely close household, I enjoy my time with my fellow brothers, but so does AMDG, and I'd say their closeness with one another is as good as anyone. The men in AMDG joined for a reason, and it seems that once you are in their household, you are all flesh and blood. I sing at the noon mass on wednesday's, and every week I see AMDG together in the back row on the left side.
 Is it a commitment? No.
Why are they doing it then? Because they love the Lord and also being together.
Another sign that these men love the brotherhood of household- AMDG Wing in Kolbe. This semester, every room is filled by men in AMDG, except for the RA living there, and two rooms occupied by freshman. I've only been on their wing a few times, and only once this semster, but it is a total bro fest. The guys all just hang out together and the community life that they have together is truly great.
But lets say you don't go visit them on wing. That is fine. All one has to do is go to the Cafe during Lunch or Dinner and you can see them together at the table closest to the dishes. They are ALWAYS there, just eating together.
Another reason why AMDG is such a good household is, for as brotherly as they are with one another, they are very welcoming. Once you hang out with them a few times, you see how nice they are.
I asked Pat Gunning why he joined AMDG and he said, "Before I looked into AMDG, the households I checked out had a lot of cool guys into their faith. Once I looked into AMDG, I found a tight-knit brotherhood that would push me to pursue that faith."
I am not saying AMDG is for everyone, because I myself went a different route, but they definitely worth looking at. Even if you don't join, being friends with them is a pleasure.

Overall, AMDG is a household filled with men whose passion is very visible and also men with strong personalities. Everything they do has a reason, and when it comes down to it, they try and follow their name, doing "All for the Glory of God!"

1 comment:

  1. Brendan,
    I have never met you, nor am I online all that often, but I wanted to thank you for this post. I am a lifetime member of AMDG. I joined the household in 1996 while the founding members were still present, and was coordinator in 1999. I am proud of the group of young men that have worn the blue and gold, and count myself lucky and blessed by God to be one of them. Keep up the great blog work - God Bless!
    Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
    Mike Mosher

    ReplyDelete