Saturday, April 20, 2019

Holy Week & Easter

Holy Week & Easter

April 20, 2019



Have you ever been at a loss for words? 

Yeah, me neither. 

But I've been close.

A few months back I started a new job.

The precise date was January 8th. 

A few weeks ago, I was let go from said job.

The precise date was March 28th. 

You do the math - that is less than three months.

Up until January, I had been living in Northern Virginia. I had planted roots there, and although my plan was not to live there for good, I was happy with the way things were going. But then I came upon this job in Development. I was not in love with the location (Northern Kentucky), but I decided to give it a shot. After a long application process, I was offered the job and decided I could make the location work. And I was going to be traveling every month, so it would not be a huge deal. 

Goodbye, Northern Virginia, hello Bourbon Trail. 

What led me to make the decision can be read about here, but in short, it seemed like God was inviting me to leave my comfort zone, and make the move. Well leave my comfort zone I did, and now I'm here. 

Back to square one. 

I have no desire to write about what happened. In truth, it will not get me my job back, and it isn't worth spending energy describing. All I ask is that you pray for the twenty-five of us who got laid off, that we can find new and fulfilling work. 

So the question then becomes, what am I writing about? 
Just what God has placed on my heart. The important takeaways.

Firstly, I am seeing the importance of purpose and joy in my life. 

God has made it abundantly clear to me over the last few years that the sum of my worth has nothing to do with my salary or the job I'm in. This most recent situation has only reinforced that. My purpose on this earth is to bring Christ to every person I encounter, and the best way to do that is in a joyful spirit. 

Secondly, I'm realizing just how real the cross is.

It is so easy to live for Jesus when everything is going well, but how do we handle the tough situations that come before us? St. Louis de Montfort talks about crosses, and basically says that we never need to ask for them, but when they come (and they will come), that we accept them with love. If this Lenten season has taught me anything, it is that I need to look at how I accept trials and tribulations. Do I sit around playing the victim card, or do I pick up my cross and follow Him? This layoff surely isn't easy, but can I look past the tribulations and trust that God has a plan? 

Thirdly, I'm remembering that God only gives me what I can handle.

As I just stated, I know I'm called to look at God's plan in all of this, and honestly, that is what provides me with the most peace. He has a plan for this whole thing, but right now, it might not make sense. But hey, just look at Jesus' passion, death and resurrection. If we just decided it was all over on Good Friday, we'd miss Jesus' resurrection a few days later. 

Fourthly, God's telling me that His timing is the best timing.

This is something I'm still wrapping my head around, but I know to be true. I find myself asking God, "Why did I move here if this was going to happen just a few months down the road?" But the response he has given me has been just two words - "Be Patient." Right now, I'm trying to let that be enough. 

And Lastly, He keeps telling me to count my blessings.

Remembering how fortunate I am has been key to handling this whole process. Yes, I'm without work for the time being but I have a place to live, food on the table, a car, friends and family who care for me, and above all else, a God who died for me on the cross so that one day I can live with Him in his heavenly kingdom. If that isn't enough for me, I do not think anything will be.

So yes, I'm down on some tough times right now, but God is so good, and through it all, he'll help me brave the rough and stormy seas. To God be praised, now and forever. 

1 comment:

  1. Brendan, thank you for sharing. All the best to you. I pray that this opens a great door for you. I wish you a Blessed and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete