Thursday, June 28, 2012

Introducing, Prodigal

Getting to Know Prodigal
An Interview with Cory Larmour
It is funny that I am doing this, cause Cory and I have never actually met in person, but we had some mutual friends and more importantly, we both see our Catholic Faith as the most important thing. We connected because of that, and now I find myself blogging about him. Hopefully you all enjoy the interview!

Myself:
Hey man, first off, start with introducing yourself if you don't mind, and let the public know who you are.

Cory:
 Hey everybody.. my name is Cory. I go by the stage name Prodigal. I am currently working on an album entitled Unafraid. I am so glad to have a few free minutes to chat with you Brendan. I really like what you are doing with this blog. I'm sure that you will be able to touch many and lead them to Christ.
Myself:
Thanks man, means alot. I am just trying to spread the gospel message, even though I am very flawed myself. Blessed Mother Teresa said, "We can do no great things, only small things, with great Love." I try and follow that. This blog is not very popular, but I know that even though it doesn't reach the masses, some people do read it, and I hope it has some effect on them. I find it humbling to remember that no matter what I do, it is still not enough. St. Francis Assisi said, "Up until now, we have done nothing." He meant it also, so it pushes me to never stop trying. If a Saint didn't think he did enough, I know I can't be complacent.  But on to question number two. Why is your rapper name Prodigal?

Cory:
I chose the name Prodigal because I really think that the parable of the Prodigal Son really connects to my life and the lives of so many other people that I know. I mean.. like a majority of high school and college students, I knew about God, knew about Jesus, had been going to church for sometime.. but I put limits on Faith. I would coin phrases like "yeah I believe in God... But I'm not that into it". Thinking that my faith life was similar to following a sport or a show on the television. When I went away to school for the first time, I fell out of church. I started to work at night clubs, and doing everything I was told was sinful as I was growing up. I really didn't care about who I was hurting as long as I was "cool" and making money. One night, while I was out, I experienced a tradgedy that really made me change my perspectives and in my time of need I opened myself to Jesus and his healing. And ever since that day, the day I was saved, my life has never been more fufilling. Yeah I might have given up a lot of the things I used to place value on, but now I know that Christ Jesus is all I need. The parable of the Prodigal Son shows a child leaving his father, acting out, getting himself into trouble, leading a sinful life, and coming back to his father when he is struggling to ask for mercy and forgiveness. That's pretty much my life. I turned away from God.. my pride took over.. and then I failed. Without Gods support I could not stand on my own. And it took me a complete fall to go back and seek his love.


Myself:
That is awesome dude. It's funny to go to Franciscan, cause you see alot of complacentcy, and it comes from the people who have stayed the straight path most of their lives. They always have stayed away from the parties, and all the real bad "sin", but then they just don't seem to be on fire, you know? Then you hear stories like yours, and you can sense a real passion and longing for Christ. Your realization for how important Christ is really shows. Don't get me wrong, the people who have been "good" their whole lives are a great witness, and its by the grace of God that they are in that spot, but with that, we must not become complacent. You're story, though I have only heard a small portion, is awesome and inspires me to want to continue growing.
Another question I'd like to ask you is, When it comes to christian artists, who is your favorite? any funny stories?

Cory:
That's a tough question. Growing up I was a rock kind of guy. So I love groups like Tenth Avenue North. Mike Donehey, vocalist, is incredible. If you get the chance go on YouTube and check out his video journals. As a rapper.. I have to say my 116 clique/Reach Records family. Lecrae, Trip Lee, Andy Mineo, KB, Tedashi, and everyone else. They are great musicians and even greater examples of what it means to be Men of Christ. Also I grew up with Righteous B.. he was the youth minister at my church when I was a youngin. As far as funny stories go.. I have so many. From forgetting entire song lyrics to seeing one of the most shy guys I know who won't even talk backstage, go out on stage with courage and proclaim the gospel to nearly 10,000 people at a time... No names. I feel that Christian music as a whole is gaining popularity. And to be able to associate myself with Christian hip hop and be able to work with movements like 116 and be "Unashamed" of the gospel is an incredible honor. I am able to use means that quite frequently glorifies all the things that ruin ones relationship with God... And flip the script to teach kids growing up in the hip-hop culture that religion and God can be cool.

Myself:

Yeah dude, and we need that. My sister taught at a Catholic High School and had my brother and I come in and talk to them about Manhood, and for the most part, these kids were so lost. I used the phrase, "You are a product of your enviorment" and it reigned true with a lot of them. Kids want to break out of the sin and stuff, but it is not easy when "everyone" is doing it. Hopefully you'll find kids listening to your music over the radio stuff, which for the most part, does not have positive messages. It is really sad, cause most people I know listen to radio music, and they have no idea what they are listening to and singing. The songs are garbage, and there is no reason to listen to it. Enough from me though. Another question. Why did you decide to transfer to Franciscan?

Cory:
Transferring to Francsiscan University was a no brainer for me. I decided that i wanted to go to school for Cathetics and to learn about my faith and in my humble opinion their is no better place. I have had so many friends go through and graduate and love every minute they spent there. Also so many people who grew up in towns around me now live in Steubenville. Bob Rice, who teaches at the university, Righteous B, Kelly Pease Lombardi. Plus the campus is stunning.


Myself:
I couldn't agree more bro. I work in Admissions and people are always calling and asking me if I like it here. I can't say enough good things. Only school I applied to and with good reason. Such an amazing place. But anyway, care to tell the reader about some other things you do and other talents? 

Cory:
God has been good to me and blessed me with many talents. I'm trying to glorify him in all that I do.. because without his Grace.. I would not be able to do anything. First, I really consider myseld a musician rather than a rapper. I play drums (work as a drumline instructor), piano, bass, and sing. I work as a producer and run my own studio. I am a certified personal trainer and currently work at a gym. I play lacrosse. I love to cook. I used to be a magician. And I am conference/retreat speaker. I stay really busy but I wouldn't have it any other way.



Myself:
That is amazing dude. All we can do is thank the Lord for what we've been given, and use it for His greater glory! Well thank you for the interview bro, and I look forward to getting to know you better while you're at Franciscan. Check out Cory's music on fbook -

www.Facebook.com/prodigalrap
Also "Unafraid" is due to drop on itunes July 25th.

Cory:
God bless everyone and remember that life comes from God.. so every moment that you have. Be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment