Monday, July 2, 2012

YOLO

Living Life to the Fullest
Blog #18

We have all played or seen the boardgame: The game of LIFE. Sounds fun, a boardgame
based around living life. You start out by either choosing to go to College or not, and then role from there. Sure, you miss the first 18 or so years of your life, but for the games sake, it is not important. In the end, the winner is the person with the most money. Basically, a successful life is determined by the amount of money you make.

Well, Milton Bradley-
 You are wrong about that.

This past weekend, I found myself on the computer checking facebook when I came upon a post by a friend of mine, telling me and others that Tyler Peltier, a recent Franciscan Graduate, had passed away. I knew who Tyler was, and when I saw him, always said hello and asked how he was doing, but that was it. Normally a death like this would sadden me, and I'd say a few prayers, but I wouldn't let it effect me all that much. For some reason, Tyler's death was different. My first response was to tell people and ask them to pray for him and his family. I found myself outside on the phone, calling my brother. By the time I got him on the phone, I could barely speak, and started crying, harder then I have ever cried before. I was able to get across to Mike that Tyler had died, and also tell my dad, but the tears would not stop. I found myself looking up to the sky and asking, "Why God? He is so young!" In the game of LIFE, tyler would be on spot one.

After a minute or so, I reminded myself that the Lord's plan was not always the one we wanted, and there is no age that we are "suppose to" live to. I knew Tyler was headed to a better place, but it was still tough to think about.

"You give and take away, but my heart will choose to say, Lord Blessed be your name!" This song came to mind, and I found some peace. Tyler was lucky, hopefully headed to some place much better, but its easy to say, not easy to believe. I am still coming to terms with the fact that at any moment, the Lord could call me or someone close to me home. I want so desperately to live a good life on this earth, and enjoy my time here while living for Christ, but Tyler's death made me realize I am not doing enough.

Then I remembered the ever catchy phrase Y.O.L.O. , and I'd like to think it is not talking about living the life of excess and partying, but more a reminder that you have one life, and though your actions might not leave a permant mark in books and such, they will when it comes to ETERNAL LIFE. It's Heaven or Hell, and guess what, we choose which one-way ticket we get.

I don't write this to scare people but the truth is, and I am seeing this more and more in my daily life, we need to make the best of our lives or suffer the consequences.......
I'd rather suffer good consequences. Just saying.
What is living the best life? Well, it is trying to be a Saint! If you know me, and if you continue to read my blog, I talk about this often, normally daily in my conversations. I want you to know, I'm not doing a good job with it, but I am refreshed daily and I look to continue to grow. I ask for the Holy Spirit to guide me in my speach and thoughts, and I look to not make too many stupid mistakes.

I think this is all we can do. Fight the good fight, pursue holiness, and pray that God is merciful. We are all sinners, and we all give in to the temptations of this world, but we can still live holy lives if we seek God's help. Failure it ineviable, but that is when we get back up. get to confession and try again. Tyler was not a perfect man, but he was a good man, and from what I could see, he tried to live out his heavenly calling. We must do the same.

I will finish with this:
YOLO - He died for us, so we must live for him!
 
Pray for Tyler and his family.
Rest in Peace my friend and enjoy Heaven. Hope to see you there one day.
Tyler Peltier- Born February 12, 1990 Died June 30, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment