Monday, May 14, 2012

Straight up Roaming - The Bison

Nick "The Bison" Andrews
This is the same person who got best looking in High School
Words that Describe him -

Ripped
Hottttt
Hilarious
Athletic
Cool
Calm
Collective
Interesting

I know I missed a few words (Creepy maybe?), but that is unimportant. I am here to discuss just one of these, the one that comes to mind with most people.
Athletic.
I know when I first met Nick, Athleticism was screaming at me. He had it all. The size, the strength, and the determination. He was a man among boys. Since those early days, I've been lucky enough to compete with him, and against him. This has allowed me to be there through it all. Because of that, I am going to discuss my favorite athletic memories.
Feel free to laugh. Don't worry. You will.

1. Freshman Year Basketball -
The Bison and I were the only two freshman who did open gym that year, and so we became good friends. During our first year, we both played on the Freshman team, and there were not many positive highlights, Our final record being 1-13. One of the highlights I do remember though, was a home game in the middle of the season. For some reason Nick's parents and grandparents came to watch, and it just so happened our team was awarded technical free throws due to a flagrant foul. Our Coach was not sure who he was going to have take them, because no one really got to the line besides me, and I had a miserable percentage. He decided to go with Nick, remembering that he shot them well in practice, though never taking one in a game. The person who shots the technical free  throw is expected to be the best shooter you have, so Nick stepped to the line and did what only Nick could do. Air ball. A technical free throw. With Mom, Dad, and the Grandparents all watching. Only Nick.
2. Golf -
Nick is the first person who ever got me into golf, and when he was in high school, he actually was on the golf team. Though on the golf team, he was really inconsistent, and sometimes it provided for some laughs. It was my second or third time golfing, and Nick and I decided to go to a par 3 golf course. The others times I played with nick, he beat me by over ten strokes. This time though, he posted a score so high, that I would have had to drive with my putter to beat it. When we finished 9 holes, Nick shot a 61. The par was 27. He found a way to shoot 34 over, a feat that only came about when he shot an 8 over par on one hole, then followed it up with a ten over par. Only Nick.
3. Golf Highlight #2 -
I have been lucky enough to have a few highlights with Nick on the course, and the other came on a different day. We were golfing at an actual course, and Nick had set himself up for a two foot putt, something he does not miss. I told my friend, who was also golfing with us, that I would get him to miss it. I decided to yell to Nick, something like, "You better not miss." When he took the putt, he of course missed, and I started laughing, as did my friend. This caused an already frustrated Nick to throw his golf ball at me, leaving a small mark. Only Nick.
4. Throwing a Frisbee -
This happened only a week ago. Nick was up on campus with me, and we were throwing a Frisbee. He was on a hill, while I was on flat ground. I tossed the Frisbee to him, and when he went to get it, he forgot he was on a hill, and just straight face planted. This actually gave me the idea for this blog. Only Nick.
5. Big 8 Basketball -
Nick and I found ourselves on the same basketball team, this time in a school wide league, and he was making his first appearance of the season. Nick was excited to play, cause he can actually shot pretty well, and he knew the lazy defense would give him room to take his jumper. On the court for the first time, Nick took a few shots, and was getting into his flow, only to find a way to hurt himself within 5 minutes. He came down the court, and took a shot, but then was in pain. Yep, he messed up his groin, due to a lack of stretching. Only Nick.
6. Tossing a Football -
Nick and I were at my house tossing a football, just messing around. It was going well, and then we decided to just make the distance longer and longer until I found myself on my back porch and Nick out in the middle of the yard. I made a long toss, but Nick didn't read it right, and attempted to let it bounce once, and then get it. This proved to be a bad idea, as the football ended up bouncing right into his region, and he layed in my yard for 20 minutes (I kid you not) and moaned. Only Nick.
7. Track -
Senior year, Nick decided to run Track, running distance. One of the practices he found himself needing to use the restroom, so he went off to the side to pee in the woods. When he came back to the team though, it was assumed he either didn't make it to the woods, or just couldn't aim. Only Nick.
8. Baseball -
It was sophomore year, and our coach decided to put Nick out in the Right Field, with both the coach and  Nick hoping the ball would not be hit his way. Of course, things didn't go according to plans, and a high fly ball came his way. To Nick and our coaches surprise, he caught it, and when he came in from the outfield, our coach told him he closed his eyes when the ball came at Nick. Surprisingly, Nick responded, "So did mine." Only Nick.
9. Soccer -
Just seeing Soccer on this list should get some laughs. Nick attempted to play soccer Senior year of high school, and though it only lasted about a week, the memories were good. The one I'll never forget though, was when he came to practice with a coffee cup instead of a water bottle. We were laughing at him for the cup, but then it only got funnier when he let us in on what he was drinking, which was lemonade. Nick had been playing sports his whole life, and for some reason he though Lemonade was a good choice for practice? Really? Only Nick.
10. Soccer #2 -
We were at the Herrmann's house playing World Cup Soccer, and it was down to Nick and Peter's little brother, who was 12 at the time. Whoever scored would advance, and Nick was having a difficult time just staying with Kevin. As things progressed, it was clear that though Kevin was 6 years younger than Nick, he was a far superior soccer player. Kevin ended up Nut megging Nick, and then scoring, which was followed by Kevin running around the yard with his shirt over his head. Yep, Bison lost to a 12 year old. Only Nick.
11. Soccer #3 -
Some how Nick always has known how to make soccer entertaining, even though he has never played on an organized team. Another Soccer highlight I wont soon forget was when the Varsity Soccer team decided to have short short day, an idea I had been trying to implement for a while. Nick had been coming to an occasional practice, and when he heard about short short day, he was totally in. When we all arrived at practice, the results were mixed. Some guys, too manly or too self conscience, decided not to partake. On the other hand, we had some men wearing there sisters shorts, taking it too far. Then we had the normal guys, doing what we had talked about, wearing THEIR shortest shorts. Nick decided to one up everyone though, going with his sisters bed shorts, which basically were boxers. Everyone on the team couldn't stop laughing and wondering what he was thinking. Only Nick.
12. Baseball #2 -
Nick never was really on Coach's good side, and it only proved to be more true, when we were having practice in the cage. I was hitting, and all of sudden, someone dropped a bat on the ground. I turned to see who it was, and to my surprise, it was not Nick, but an even goofier guy, Jimmy Sepik. When Coach heard the bat drop, he just looked over at Jimmy and Nick, and yelled, "Sepik, Andrews, get out of here!" and he told them to leave the gym. Nick really did not do anything, but normally just being by Jimmy had that effect. Only Nick.
13. Disc Golf -
Nick and a few friends of mine were disc golfing, and Nick was off to a bad start, as usual. His drives, mid-range, and putts were all inconsistent. Though all of this was true, he remained verbally confident. As we approached the fifth whole, Nick was aware that the hole was easy, and that all he needed to do was get it across the river, for a chance to par. He wound up, and released. Maybe the worst drive ever. Nick threw it a total of two feet, tops, hitting the tree right in front of him. What made it even funnier was the fact he was using my brothers new disc. Only Nick.
14. Bowling -
The last sports memory on the list, I'll never forget Senior year bowling. Bernardo convinced my friends and I to all join the bowling team, and it was quite an experience. I never really liked bowling, but it was free, so I did it. Nick had a few highlights, and actually, was a good bowler, but the only thing people will really remember was his stance. most people got low when they threw, but Nick took it to a new level, Sticking his butt out so far. It was funny just to watch him play. Only Nick.

Now I have shared fourteen different sports memories with you. I hope you laughed a little, and remember, the Bison is always roaming!



No comments:

Post a Comment